AUSTIN, Texas – April 4, 2013 –
Today, "The Washington Post
" reported that cancer centers across the United States are turning away thousands of Medicare patients due to recent spending cuts known as “sequestration.” According to The Washington Post, the two percent cuts are unexpectedly harming cancer patients because cancer drugs, which must be administered by a physician, are among the pharmaceuticals covered by Medicare Part B and therefore subject to the sequester.
The LIVESTRONG Foundation
has mobilized its free cancer support services to help anyone confronting challenges getting access to drugs understand their options and advocate on their behalf to ensure that a needed treatment is not withheld. The LIVESTRONG
Foundation helps people affected by cancer navigate the health care system and overcome barriers to their care. These free cancer support services offer confidential, on-one guidance dealing with the financial, emotional and practical challenges that accompany a cancer diagnosis. These highly personalized and resourceful services are available in English and Spanish online
, by phone
. The Foundation’s trained, bilingual navigators assist patients nationwide with a wide-range of issues including insurance coverage, financial assistance and employment concerns, as well as clinical trial matching, transportation and treatment options. Since its founding 16 years ago, the Foundation has served more than 2.5 million people affected by cancer.
“No one in this great country should be turned away from life-saving cancer treatment,” said Doug Ulman
Foundation President and CEO. “We stand ready to serve any person in the U.S. affected by cancer, through our comprehensive, free services that help cancer survivors and their families cope with the financial, emotional and practical challenges that accompany a diagnosis.”
Foundation navigators, in partnership with the Patient Advocate Foundation
, Imerman Angels
and the Navigate Cancer Foundation
, are available to help with:
- Emotional Support: Assistance coping with a cancer diagnosis, help accessing support groups, as well as peer-to-peer connections;
- Fertility Risks and Preservation Options: Information on fertility risks and help accessing discounted rates for fertility preservation options;
- Insurance, Employment and Financial Concerns: Information on employment rights and benefits, financial assistance and debt management, including insurance and billing issues as well as medication co-pay assistance; and
- Treatment Concerns: General cancer and treatment information, and matching to clinical trials.
- Access to Care: residents of Central Texas can receive free rides to and from cancer-related medical appointments through the Foundation’s transportation program.
People affected by cancer can access the Foundation’s free cancer support services the following ways:
- By phone: (855) 220-7777 (English & Spanish)
- Online: www.LIVESTRONG.org/GetHelp (English) or www.LIVESTRONGEspanol.org (Spanish).
- In person: LIVESTRONG Cancer Navigation Center, Address: 2201 East Sixth Street, Austin, Texas 78702
- To schedule an appointment, email firstname.lastname@example.org or call (512) 220-7777.
- For more information, visit www.LIVESTRONG.org/GetHelp/Austin
About the LIVESTRONG
Foundation provides free cancer support services to help people cope with the financial, emotional and practical challenges that accompany the disease. Created in 1997 by cancer survivor and philanthropist Lance Armstrong, the Foundation is known for its powerful brand – LIVESTRONG
– and for its advocacy on behalf of survivors and their families. With its iconic yellow LIVESTRONG
wristband, the Foundation has become a symbol of hope and inspiration around the world. Since its inception, the Foundation has served 2.5 million people affected by the disease and raised more than $500 million to support cancer survivors. One of America’s top cancer non-profit organizations, the Foundation enjoys a four-star rating from Charity Navigator and has been recognized by the National Health Council and the Better Business Bureau for its excellent governance, high standards and transparency. For more information, visit LIVESTRONG.org